Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Days 65-66: Fighting cabin fever in San Diego

It's been over a week since the accident, and still no news on the car situation.  Time to move on down the road. 

First up, the OC.







Winter goes to great lengths to get her tennis ball...


L.A. off in the distance to the north






Won't even let go of the ball to do this...


Supposedly, according to Yelp, these are the best fish tacos in southern California, AND they're cheap.  South Beach Bar and Grille.  Let's see how it goes...

SO good.


Yeah, that's Cali

"Hot Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich" -- if I hadn't already been stuffed on fish tacos I would've gone for it.  But it mostly just made me feel sick thinking about it...

Eh screw it, let's get ice cream anyway.

Some pictures look better in your head than in reality

Day 2: WHALES!  Sea World was WAY too expensive ($64 for two people??) so we decided to go for the real thing instead.

Pre-whale watching snack.  That's, I think, a California-style hot dog -- according to the sign, at least.


Annnnd we're off

Say hello to the harbor seals







About 45 minutes in... "whats that?!"

Is that...?

Thar she blows!


I turned away for one second.  ONE SECOND!  The ONE time a whale breached (jumped out of the water) was the ONE second I turned away.  This picture is mostly what whale watching looks like.  Still though, we saw about six whales and a ton of dolphins.  Pretty awesome.  Next whale-related adventure on the bucket list: swimming with a whale.  After that: ride a whale.  Mark. My. Words. 






Tijuana, Mexico.


The Coronado Islands

Those dark spots are grey whales



Look at all the dolphins!

I hope I'm getting them!

I can't really tell if they're in the viewfinder because of the bright light

But I hope I'm getting them...



Dolphins swim alongside the whales



The captain kept saying "These helicopters are out here all the time.  Usually they're actually dropping real seals into the water for practice rescue missions."  "Did he mean real seals?" "I thought he meant Navy SEALS...?" "No I definitely heard 'real seals'." "Yeah but what if he meant "real S.E.A.L.S.?" "I guess...?"



"Oh, no sorry folks, I was wrong.  They're marking the border with Mexico.  Oops.  Time to head back to American waters!"

So this is what a feeding frenzy looks like.  Check out the pelicans diving HARD at the water.




Ever heard of reverse racism?  This is reverse cafe-ism.


Hippie parenting? One kid begging for attention while the other one literally disappears around a corner.

This guy...

...belongs to this guy.









Haven't seen the Grateful Dead bears in a while...

Newport Beach -- Bluth territory!


Two days in San Diego. Still no news on the car after 10 days.  Time to head back... somewhere...?  Guess we should move on back up north toward where we rented the car from after the accident?  Right...?

Next up: LET'S GET THE HELL BACK ON THE ROAD!


No comments:

Post a Comment