Thursday, November 10, 2011

Days 16-17: Michigan and Chicago

What better place than Applebee's to mull over whether to drive down the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (and Wisconsin) or the Lower Peninsula? (we went with the Lower)

This is the most exciting thing we could find to do in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan (the Canadian side of the city had all the bowling alleys and movie theaters)

I regret not trying this

I don't regret not trying this. 

Go here if you ever visit Petoskey, Michigan

Pee break in Petoskey 


Look at my with my manly firewood, IN A DUMBBELL BOX.

Camping in below-freezing temps for the first time...


We survived the night without freezing, but then woke up to a few closer looks at our surroundings...

I called Jeff about buying some land, but he was busy sailing on the Mayflower

Not a lot of good pictures from Grand Rapids, Michigan, but it's Laura's new favorite place. Here's part of the reason why.

We've passed one of these in almost every state.  I've never seen a "Schreiber St" though.  
I guess my ancestors should have spent more time dueling. (get it? anyone? anyone...?)

Stupid Indiana didn't have a sign...

Tune-up time

Hello, Chicago.



Frontera Grill. Of course I shattered the salt shaker...









"I SEE A PARK!"

Ok this was cool to see ("Cloud Gate" aka "The Bean")...
but THEY KICKED US OUT BECAUSE OF WINTER.  Bastards.





Laura: "Gross, there's goose poop everywhere."
Me: "No, no, no, those are the little tubes of soil they leave out when they aerate the grass."
Laura: "No...that's poop.  Look closer."
Me: "Oh God...  It's everywhere...  It's...on my hands...  I think it's...IT'S ON MY FACE."


Steppin' in goose poop in Grant Park (was it Grant Park...?  I think it was...?)


"NOOO!  NOT THE CONE!  THIS IS EVEN WORSE THAN THE CARDBOARD TUBE!"

Co-editors reunited (that's Xiao-bo!)  We TRIED not to talk about the News-Letter...  
We really did try.   

Xiao-bo is getting her PhD at University of Chicago (aka Hogwarts)

This series needs some explanation.  Apparently my grandfather grew up in Maywood or Melrose Park, just outside of Chicago.  Unfortunately we don't know exactly where, so these pictures are some brief records so that I can go back and do more research to see if I can find out where exactly he lived, went to school, etc. 





I never actually had a Red Hot (a Chicago-style hot dog, apparently?)  
Guess I'll have to go back... 

2 comments:

  1. I finally caught up with your blog in time to see the most important thing: MYSEEEEELLLLF :D Yay! Sorry you had to encounter all that goose poop in Chi-town - it can't be helped unfortunately.

    It was fun seeing you guys in my 'hood! Now I will plow through the rest of the archives. Awesome photos. Especially those of dogs w/ butt issues and sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I feel regreted that I didn't get a chance to visit the city when I transferfed there last September...

    ReplyDelete